Monday, March 26, 2007

wasted days

You know that your time and talents are misspent when the focus of a day (not to mention the last day home before the new job) is being a midwife to a child's difficult poop. You will be gratefull that there are no photos accompanying this entry. My three year old spend his day straining, red-faced and tearful. Weeping that his "tussy" hurt. Frantic phone calls to the doctor were involved. This distress was witnessed by many of our morning friends at the coffee store. They were all sympathetic.

When I finally left the house to pick the girls up, he finally took care of business much to the dismay of DH (who remains laid up in bed with herniated disc despite the valiant efforts of a massage therapist this weekend). I then had several phone call from DH with questions that clearly only I could answer (like were are the wipes). By the time I came home the crisis was resolved and the patient was playing in the bath. People wonder why re-entering the world of work is appealing to me!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Don't you just love the phone calls husbands make? They can never seem to find anything right in front of their face while we could leave home, live on an island in the middle of nowhere for 6 months and still be able to tell them where everything in the house is located.

Unknown said...

Best of luck with the herniated disk. Personal experience: NO FUN! Please, if it ever gets to the point of surgery, it may sound silly at first but before surgery, I suggest considering acupuncture along with physical therapy. It helped my herniated neck disk. At the risk of sounding like a spammer, consider two pillows I invented, the SquidFace and ComfyRest pillows, that alleviate my disk problem when the pain reappears. Lying on my back or facedown it corrects the herniation and alleviates the pain. It helps people with back pain also. It is strange but it works wonders. Good luck, Bob www.SquidFace.com

Heidi said...

being midwife to your child's poop is probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long while! Also one the herniated disk topic...as Bob recommends,please try acupuncture and physical therapy. I am a physical therapy student and have had lots of patients get better with therapy alone and or in combination with acupuncture.

Best of luck with the new job!

Sally said...

Honey, you are preaching to the choir. My DD has pooped maybe 4 times in the last month, and we have resorted to Uber-Lax (or whatever it's called) to help her out. Also, much cajoling and MUCH bribery was involved.

Hope your DH's back is healing up well.